Thursday, February 19, 2009

Backing up to February 14, 2009.

February 14, 2009

We left Abilene today and headed toward Amarillo-- we did the antiques thing, and saw many many oil wells pumping-- cattle, buttes, and plowed cotton fields--there were also many wind farms along the way here as well--

This territory is known as the Hill Country and it is higher in elevation than anyplace we've been so far-- over 3500 feet!!! the mountains in VA were 2800 feet and Galveston was
minus 20--
We veered off the main road onto tiny back roads (tertiary ones for those of you who are paying attention)--the towns look deserted and the houses that were there looked trashy--- even by MY standards!
Sue and I are screeching on the brakes thinking we've stumbled upon a store full of treasures when in fact it's some house with all kinds of trash and debris in the yard and on the porch--

We had lunch at a place called J&M BBQ-- chopped beef, slaw and mashed potatoes with white gravy--- ouch--- our gullets are starting to really GROAN~~~~

as we passed pastures of cattle, we noticed a "cow parade"-- there were hundreds of cows walking single file to . . .somewhere--- I pulled over to take a picture of them and they ALL stopped, turned toward us and all started MOOING in unison--- now Sue is REALLY excited!

along the road, I comment that the scenery sure is pretty and Sue looks out the car window and exclaims, "Yes, it is quite verdent? (SP?) HUH???

We arrived in Amarillo in the evening and promptly went out to Wallie mart so I could get some boxes to mail my "treasures" home--- we are running out of room in the car... :*)


Earlier on towards the beginning of our journey, I "caused" Sue to utter/exclaim, no, it was more like, SCREAM her first F*%# K--
I had maps of all the states and brought tiny square post-it notes to mark where we were on the map for easy findin'--
in the beginning, as Sue was wrestlin' with the maps, I told her to put a post-it on the spot so she didn't have to search for it each time--
"no, I'm alright ," she'd say
so the next time she consulted the map, she'd search and search for the spot where we were and then again for the spot where we were going--her glasses on her forehead, her eyes 2 inches from the map. . .
"Do you need a magnifying glass?" I asked her--- "I brought one"
"nope! I'm good" she'd say
"why don't you just put a post-it on the spot so you can find it easy?" I said --- AGAIN
"nope," she said, "I'm good

Day #2:
repeat Day #1

Day #3--We get in the car and the search for our "spot" resumes
"Want a post-it note to put on the spot?" I ask wearily
She turned on me and spat , "NO!!!!!!!!! I DON'T WANT A F#@*KING POST IT NOTE!!!!!

"So is that a definite "NO"? I ask, evilly (is that a word?)

later~
Mar

Well, in case you're wondering, Sue has drunk the KOOL-AID, now, and she's posting post it notes on everything in sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment